Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Couple Days of School

The first day of school is always the same. Whether it’s the first day of kindergarten, middle school, or high school. In my case its university, I had the initial nervousness, and the normal questions like “Will I like the course” or in some cases “Will I like this teacher?”

On Monday/Wednesday/Friday I have the same three courses. Music, Psychology, and Math. My first class, Music, is in the student recreation center, which is a 15 minute walk…like opposite side of the campus. The room is about -45 degrees, you walk in and your automatically freeze. Your walking to class sweating and have barely any clothes on but the minute you step into class you pull out your winter coat and uggs. No joke. After being in that artic classroom I have 10 minutes to get across campus, if my music teacher is on time. The normally it would take 15 minutes of speed walking and I only got 10. I step outside in the heat and literally start to run, after about 30 seconds I realize how out of shape I am and start walking. I make it to class just in the nick of time and there is one seat left in the back. For a normal person that okay, but I’m a blind bat so the whole class I’m squinting to see what the professor is writing on the board. However, I make if out alive and I have a couple hours before our team meeting. I decide that this running around is ridiculous so I find my handy danky international binder that has everything to know about the Fresno State and California (I’m serious they really prepared us). I find that you can rent a bike. Wahooo!!! I go to the Student Union building only to find out that they have run out of bikes and to come back in 2 weeks. Is this for real? I need a bike on Wednesday!! I still in search of a bike so if anyone has any ideas or knows someone…I need a bike! I go to our swim meet and get the low down on all the rules and every guideline…One rule is clean out your facebook and untag yourself in most photos that is some thing risky and inappropriate. We HAVE to add our coach!! Our assistant coach, Ryan (that name follows me everywhere!), said that he would prefer if we only had 4-5 pics….HAHAHAHAH really? Anyways after our meeting we went to my math class from 5-6:15. I felt like I was in 7th grade math..we were learning about real numbers. After I finished my grade 7 class, I was done!! After dinner, Brooke and I decided that we wanted to go to a class at the recreation center. We looked on the schedule and we could either do the spin class or this aerobics class that uses weights. I really wanted to do an aerobics/step class so we choose that one. Well let me tell you it was not aerobics it was pretty much all weights no stepping. That was a waste of time, I barely even got a workout!! We came back to our room and crashed!! Finally I finished Day 1.

Second day of school starts at 8am...thats the first class! On Tuesday/Thursdays I have Natural Sciences and English. I make it to the science building 20 minutes early, I am ready, I didn’t even get lost!! I find my room and I enter, I find a seat in the middle of the class. This classroom only sits about 40 people, it’s a small class. I sit there for about 15 minutes until the teacher comes in. He a black professor and has long long dreads and I’m like okay this guy is relaxed this could be a cool class. After about 5 minutes of him talking, he was like “welcome to African American studies, if your not in the class your in the wrong room” well…that was me! I was sitting in the wrong room for about 20 minutes..typical. I weave my way to the door, as everyone is staring at me. That was awkward. My class was next door, I just mixed up the doors. I finally arrive in my class late, and of course everyone is staring…but I guess it’s a good way to make an impression. After I finish that class, I’m on to English 10 also known as “international” English. How am I that international that I need a separate English. I get into that class to find that its all the people that were in international orientation with me. Joy! During the class the teacher is introducing poems from all different languages like Russian, Chinese, German, and she reads them in that language. After that we have to tell the class our name and what languages we speak. Everyone could list 3-4 languages they can speak, then it comes to me and I can only say English. I’m definitely the outcast in that class. Its not like I can say French, cause there’s frenchies there and then would start speaking to me and I’d only understand like one word. So far, great day great day. But what do I expect? Everything to go smoothly, haha that’s a joke cause it will never happen.

Au revoir (cause I’m international right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment